TURTLE: THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY is the story of a little loggerhead turtle, as she follows in the path of her ancestors on one of the most extraordinary journeys in the natural world.
About the film:
Born on a beach in Florida, she rides the Gulf Stream up towards the Arctic and ultimately swims around the entire North Atlantic across to Africa and back to the beach where she was born. But the odds are stacked against her; just one in ten thousand turtles survive the journey.
She faces many hazards, her siblings are lost in the doldrums of the Sargasso Sea, she comes face to face with creatures of the deep and nearly dies at the hands of fishermen. She travels up north but she drifts from her life current, the Gulf Stream, into dangerously cold waters.
When she finally reaches the Azores on the other side of the Atlantic, she sees the greatest celebration of life on the Earth as sperm whale and baitballs explode from the water. But deep and powerful changes are happening in the oceans – the fish are disappearing, sea levels are rising, the turtle’s birthing beach could be washed away and bring a way of life to an end.
The Gulf Stream is like a huge river in the ocean. About 50 miles (80km) wide it travels at some 5 miles per hour (8kph)!
· Sea Turtles undergo one of the longest migrations of the natural world
· Loggerhead turtles can grow up to 800 lbs (364 kg) and 3.5 feet (1.1 m) long
· Loggerheads can swim at speeds of up to 15mph (24kph)
· Loggerheads have been around for more than 200 million years
· Sea turtles are one of the oldest living reptiles
· Loggerheads lay on average around 100 eggs
· A female loggerhead tracked at sea made up to 500 dives every 12 hours
· Turtles can rest or sleep underwater for several hours at a time
Cast & Crew:
Narration Miranda Richardson
Editors Richard Wilkinson, Sean Barton
Director of Photography Rory McGuinness
Producers Thomas Springer, Helmut G. Weber, Katharina Bogensberger, Helmut Grasser,
Beatrix Wesle, Solveig Langeland
Executive Producers Chris Clarke, Zorana Piggott, Mike Tims
Script Melanie Finn
Produced by Sarah Cunliff, Mike Downey, Sam Taylor
Directed by Nick Stringer
Running Time 80 min.
Production Year 2008
Format 35 mm, 1:1,85
Sound Dolby Digital SRD
Co-selling with Sola Media GmbH